New Unit Configuration - How do I begin?
Posted by Jim Giseburt, Last modified by Clayton Spencer on 26 February 2018 12:01 PM
This article describes the steps necessary to configure an IP address for the Cipafilter, attach it to the internal network, and access its web management interface. Configuration of other Cipafilter features can be found in other articles.
- Configure network settings - Configure the network settings of the Cipafilter to allow network access via connection to an internal switch port.
- Connect a keyboard and monitor to the Cipafilter.
- Power on the Cipafilter.
- After a few seconds you will see a boot menu followed by a lot of information scrolling on the screen. When you see this, continue with the next step.
- Press <ALT><F2>.
- The Cipafilter should display “Press Enter to begin terminal”.
- Press <ENTER>.
- Enter setip and press <ENTER>. The following will be displayed.
- Configure a DNS server, the default gateway, and a valid IP for your network.
- The Cipafilter is in bridging mode. Any configured IPs will appear on all Ethernet interfaces of the unit.
- The Cipafilter does not utilize the management port.
- Please ensure that the pre-configured IP addresses do not cause any address conflicts on your network. To “remove” a pre-configured IP, simply change it to 0.0.0.0/0 as shown on eth2 and eth3.
- Save and apply changes and exit the setip utility.
- At this point, you should be able to connect the Cipafilter to your network. The Cipafilter should respond to ping.
- Access the Cipafilter Management Interface - a web browser based GUI.
- In a web browser, use HTTPS to access the Cipafilter via the IP address that you configured above (https://10.1.2.3).
- The username is root.
- The password is derby.
- Navigate to the IP Settings page.
- Enter a Hostname. I suggest using something like filter, and NOT using cipafilter, because the Hostname is displayed on the block page.
- Enter your Internet Domain.
- Enter a Secondary DNS server IP address.
- Select the correct Time Zone.
- Press Save and Apply to save your changes.